Despite all the recent discussion about whether games are art, we still play video games for one main reason: to be entertained. It is in this spirit of mirth and entertainment that we have compiled a list of the top 50 video game quotes of all time. What you'll find below is a comprehensive list of the funniest, most memorable, poorest translated, or simply best written pieces of dialogue from your favourite pastime over the last 25 years. We hope you enjoy this list just as much we enjoyed compiling it.
This is the first half of our countdown of the Top 50 video game quotes. Check in next week for the second part of our feature series.
And now, the countdown...
50) Don't these things always end with the princess kissing the frog? - Lucca, Chrono Trigger
49) When I said "deadly neurotoxin," the "deadly" was in massive sarcasm quotes. I could take a bath in this stuff. Put it on cereal, rub it right into my eyes... honestly, it's not deadly at all... to *me*. You, on the other hand, are going to find its deadliness... a lot less funny. - GlaDOS, Portal
48) Explanation: two per cent probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master. - HK-47, Knights of the Old Republic
47) Get off! Get lost, you're just a cheap pimp from upstate! Get out of my studio! - Lazlow Jones, Grant Theft Auto III
46) Man, this is like trying to find a bride in a brothel. - Victor Sullivan, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
45) You can't give it up! Triumph or Die! - Announcer, Street Fighter Alpha 3
44) I have just the thing for you. The Excelsior Line! - Manny Calavera, Grim Fandango
43) Well, I see that the President has equipped his daughter with ballistics too! - Luis Sera, Resident Evil 4
42) Do a barrel roll! - Peppy, Star Fox 64
41) Wake up, Mr. Freeman... - G-man, Half-Life 2
40) Hey, I think he died! Are you dead? - Conker to the player if the controller is left alone, Conker's Bad Fur Day
39) Be gone when I return. - Kratos to his hoes, God of War
38) Jump, Jump! Slide, Slide! - Unknown, Mega Man 8
37) It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum. - Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem 3D
36) Now with the demon flames of this voodoo cannonball, I'll blast my significant other into the significant otherworld, ha ha! That'll show how much I truly care. - LeChuck, Curse of Monkey Island
35) All I want is world peace... or a piece of the world. - Nun, Chrono Trigger
34) We've gotta find the Technodrome! - Intro screen right before technodrome level, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game.
33) Somebody set us up the bomb. - Tech Guy, Zero Wing
32) Having a threesome on my hundredth birthday? - Roman Bellic after being asked how he wants to die, Grand Theft Auto 4
31) Son of a submariner! - Kefka, Final Fantasy VI
30) Would you kindly? - Atlas, BioShock
29) We are going to blow the hell out of those dumb bugs until we don't have anything left to shoot 'em with! And then, we are going to strangle them with their own-living-guts! - Sgt. Johnston, Halo
28) Lady, you couldn't even find your own ass, even with your friends' help! - Canderous Ordo, Knights of the Old Republic.
27) I will move your controller using only the power of my mind. - Psycho Mantis, Metal Gear Solid.
26) I, Garland, will knock you all down! - Garland, Final Fantasy
25) There are two ways of doing this. My way, or the he's a dead motherf#$%*@ way. You pick. - The Boss, Conker's Bad Fur Day
Check back next week for the second part of our feature, and find out what is our our #1 video game quote of all time.